Its getting common for personal blogs to have a section outlining the various hardware and software used on a day to day basis, so here's my list.
- Macbook Pro
- I've used Mac since around 2012 after the company I worked for moved everyone onto them. I still use the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) I bought from them when they upgraded. Its showing its age now - no retina, battery not holding charge, and it won't upgrade to anything above High Sierra.
Luckily I have been provided with a 2017 MBP by my current employer so I use that for anything they pay me to work on, and my personal MBP for personal projects.
- I recently bought a Viewsonic VX3211-2K-MHD 2K WQHD 32 inch monitor. It handles full resolution from my usb-c Macbook Pro. The downside is that the screen on my 2011 MBP looks HUGE! Its a good monitor for the price.
- Keyboard & Mouse
- I have a standard Apple Wired Keyboard - the full one with numberpad. Mouse is a Logitech M185
- Desk & Chair
- I've fitted an old kitchen worktop to the wall which gives me a perfect height and depth to work from.
I have a LUKRACER gaming chair which I bought when working from home during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- I have a large vinyl record collection and listen to them on a red Pro-ject Essential III turntable hooked up to an ART-PRO Phono Pre-amplifier. This is then fed into an old Hitachi Hi-Fi with a pair of Pioneer speakers I kept from the 1990s.
I use the following tools for web development and writing (some links may be affiliate programs):
- Vim - for most things - coding, writing, administration etc. It's the only 'IDE' that doesn't trigger the fans on my old MBP.
- PHPStorm - for work.
- Firefox - as my main browser
- Chrome - for testing and debugging
- Docker - for some dev environments
- Vagrant - for others
- iTerm3 with ZSH / Oh My ZSH - the best terminal and shell combination there is
- Alfred - immensely helpful omni-search
- Notion - for notes
- Todoist - I manage my life with this - projects, renewals, birthdays/anniversaries, shopping etc
- Rectangle - for splitting and arranging windows on the mac
- Gmail - for, erm, email
- Airfoil - for the audio equaliser features
- Affinity Designer - for any vector work I need to do. I also use it for basic mock ups.
- Affinity Photo - for image work. Usually resizing, cropping, and enhancing.